Pages

Monday, January 2, 2017

Health and Fitness #1

Happy New Year,

What better way to start the New Year - Health and Fitness....NOT!  But it's something we need to do.  I will give you some background on what has been going on in that department with me.

The summer of 2014 I started walking and I changed my eating habits, by the end of the year I lost 50 pounds. I then started running. I ran a few 5k's, a 10k and was training to run a half marathon in October 2015. Three weeks before my half marathon I was running and had to stop I had a pain in my side, I started back running and had to stop again. When I got home I noticed I had blood in my urine. I was in the doctor the next day, tests were done fast and the next thing I know I'm scheduled for surgery for a kidney stone the size of a almond.

I was ready to start running again and noticed some flashes in my eye. I had a flight booked to go visit my daughter in California, I figured I would see the eye doctor when I got back. Just days before my flight I noticed I couldn't see my husband from the knees down. I called the eye doctor on a Sunday and his exchanged contacted him and within minutes he called me back and wanted to see me first thing Monday morning at 8:00. I received the bad news that I had a retinal detachment. I was lucky that the retinal expert was in town (when I say in town I mean 50 miles away, he travels the state of Utah, Nevada and Wyoming) by 12:30 I was in surgery. To make a long story short 2016 was all about eye surgeries in both eyes, my 9th surgery was December 22nd, I still need one more procedure before I know if I will be able to see again in my left eye.

Because I have been sitting on my ass for over a year I have gained back 40 of the pounds I lost. I'm upset with myself, I worked so hard taking that weight off. Now I have to start over. The good thing is I know I can do it. It just might be a little harder with my sight problems. It's a hurdle I'm willing to JUMP over. (One Little Word 2017 OLW)

I'm going to start by walking daily if I can't make it down to the trail in town I will walk my driveway. When I lost the 50 pounds it was just walking my drive. My driveway is a 1/4 mile, dirt, rocks and not level, oh and right now it has 2 feet of snow on it. I will be checking with my eye doctor on Wednesday to see what other workouts I can do, I don't want to put any pressure on my eye certain yoga positions are not good if you have had a retinal detachment.

Now let's talk about food. I don't diet, when I say I don't diet I mean I'm not going to grab a magazine and do the 2017 diet that will change my life, I'm not doing Weight Watchers, Atkins, etc... I'm doing what works for Pam. I'm going to make good choices and stick to 1200 calories a day.

I will be logging my food daily on MyFitnessPal and tracking my steps on FitBit (I have a Alta). If you would like to join me you can find me on FitBit using my email address pamcapone58 [at] gmail.com and MyFitnessPal using the name mrscapone.

I will be posting my progress, challenges, weight (sigh, yes I'm doing this and it's not pretty) every Monday.

With Love,
Pam


Starting Weight: 223
Current Weight: 223
Goal Weight: 130






No comments:

Post a Comment